Innovation at The University of Plymouth
Enterprising Innovation at the University of Plymouth
Acceleration Through Innovation² is proud to be led by The University of Plymouth in providing business innovation support to small and medium sized enterprises in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
The University recognises that understanding the key elements of innovation and having the right tools to implement successful innovation projects is pivotal for businesses looking to drive growth, increase efficiencies and bring new products and services to market. As the UoP was the first higher education institute in the UK to receive national innovation accreditation in recognition of its support for enterprise, we were aware that previous innovation support had yet to address the underlying culture within businesses to foster innovation. Our past experience also highlighted how financial barriers could prevent businesses from pursuing projects that have the potential to lead to scalable and commercially viable new products, services or processes. With this in mind, the University developed their response which includes the Acceleration Through Innovation programme.
The university’s research is helping to design, develop, evaluate and implement innovative technologies and approaches to provide solutions to the health and care challenges of the 21st Century. From researching robotics and artificial intelligence to evaluating technology usability and efficacy, the University of Plymouth has:
- contributed to the parliamentary report about sustainable seas
- had their microplastics research highlighted as one of the UK’s 100 best uni breakthroughs
- had one of their eHealth experts, focussed on improving access to digital health, named among the nation’s lifesavers
- been awarded a share of the Cultural Development Fund from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport to build Plymouth’s creative industries and nurture creative people power
- been awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for pioneering research on marine microplastics pollution and its impact on the environment and changing behaviour
- Supported the national effort against coronavirus, from researching vaccinations and delivering training to NHS staff to supplying equipment to the NHS and staff in the city of Plymouth and creatively supporting home-schooling during lockdown
The Enterprise University
The University of Plymouth is truly ‘business-engaging’ and delivering outstanding economic, social and cultural benefits from our collective knowledge.
- creating a sustainable new model for an enterprise-led university where innovation and creativity, together with responsible business practice, underpin all activities
- building on demonstrable enterprise track record and range of services for business, the public sector and community
- embedding a spirit of enterprise at the heart of every facet of the University, being attuned to the transformational priorities of the city and the region, meeting the needs of stakeholders and enhancing students’ experience and employability
- intimately connecting teaching and research with the practicalities of the real world – supporting innovation and enhancing competitiveness in local, regional and global businesses, and bringing research outputs to an international audience.
Research and Innovation at the University of Plymouth
In order to support and deliver the University’s mission the dedicated Research and Innovation Department’s strategic intention is to drive the exploitation of research and knowledge transfer opportunities in order to deliver significant added value to the University, the wider economy and community.